"Dep, Khushil (GE Money)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

| I'm not sure that a plugin system will encourage more research and
| development. Anyone who even contemplates getting into the this field
| isn't going to be someone who is easily disuaded by challenges and
| obstacles.

I beg to disagree -- speaking from experience.  The issue isn't
`obstacle'; from my perspective, it is that of time and energy sunk
into `mere re-invention of pointless wheels with no research result'.  I
had no trouble getting students up to spead on well-structured
plugable proprietary compiler within weeks.  However, the same
experience on GCC has proven much less impressive results.
Consequently, we have been making more progress working with
proprietary compiler than with GCC -- something I find myself
embarrasing :-(

-- Gaby