Joseph S. Myers wrote:
The test will always compile, but sometimes the result will have references to the __sync_* functions in the output. Then, for certain targets where these functions are defined in a library, the result will link. (The only targets where these are defined in a library are targets where we can assume link tests are OK.)

So a normal compile-or-link isn't what we want here; it's "link if you can do link tests, but otherwise check the .s file" or "link for *-*-linux* *-*-uclinux*, but otherwise check the .s file".
I see, a sort of GCC_CHECK_S_OR_LINK ;) Thanks for the explanation, I didn't write that test. If you have a patch ready for it, consider it pre-approved, otherwise I may come to it but not very soon, I was not aware of the issue.

Paolo.