>> The second issue (which perhaps Kirill did not thought of) would be to
>> accelerate some internal optimisations of GCC by using JIT-code
>> generation techniques within the compiler itself. There are several
>> occasions within GCC where complex internal processing happens, and one
>> could imagine to "partially evaluate" them (w.r.t. to the compiled
>> source program) by generating some code specifically tuned to that
>> processing. BTW, the MELT branch was designed with such stuff in mind,
>> and indeed can generate some code (currently, it generates C code, run
>> the host compiler on it, dlopen it, and use it; in principle I could
>> have used libjit instead of forking a compilation process from inside cc1).
>
> Yes, that's true.  But it doesn't in any sense require libjit to be integrated
> with gcc to achieve this: the jit could just be called as an external library.
>
>> I still don't understand what Kiril is thinking of exactly. In contrast
>> to Andrew, I don't believe it is an April Fool's joke, but perhaps a
>> language issue: both Kiril & me Basile are not native English speakers,
>> and we may have difficulties in finding the right words & express
>> ourself fluently in English.
>
> For what it's worth, I didn't really think this is April Fool's joke; I was

Everyone who read that, might have thought you really meant that.

> just trying to provoke Kirill into explaining his purpose.  I seem to have
> failed to do that.

My explanations seem to have also failed to explain you.
Unfortunately, one really needs have some back group with both
Just-In-Time compilers,Virtual Machines, and Common Intermediate
Language to understand this area. I understand that it is not your
area of expertise, so it is not an issue for me.

Thanks,
Kirill