On Apr 1, 2009, at 5:09 AM, Dave Korn wrote:
It seems to
me that LLVM solves many goals that are already complete and solved in GCC. So I think libJIT potentially is more useful for GCC and software
developers.

but you don't say what libjit would be more useful than, or how this overlap between "solved goals" between gcc and llvm implies that. Do you simply mean that, because llvm and gcc both cover similar areas, and because libjit is useful for llvm, it must also be useful for gcc? Could you list some of these
goals and explain how they relate to JIT?

Hi Dave,

I don't mean to invade into a pretty amusing thread, but I wanted to clarify one important thing: litjit and LLVM have nothing to do with each other.

libjit and LLVM have very different design points. libjit is a bit more than a glorified macro assembler with some late "optimizations", whereas LLVM is a real compiler that happens to have the ability to emit machine code to memory.

To be perfectly clear, LLVM does not use libjit.

-Chris