Quoting Michael Matz <m...@suse.de>:
Yes, it's probably not going to happen; neither the requested revert.
But now I at least know a strategy how to sneak in controversial patches.

I don't think the patch was controversial in the changes it made to the
code per se, only in the side effects that its check in has on source
code control.  (Plus, how can you be sure that such a large patch is safe?
There are a few rare situations in which trailing whitespace is required.)
I.e. for any date you pick for a check-in, there will be unmerged branches
and patches that will be affected.
Plus the ongoing effects on svn blame. I wish there was a --ignore-space-change option for svn blame - that would also be useful to 'see through' ordinary
patches that change indentation levels due to changes in control flow, but
given how resource hungry the current svn blame is, I suppose we have to
wait till the repository fits into RAM before this is feasible.