> Well anyone can think anything, but this view is way out of the
> mainstream. I do not know of a single large real project using a
> large complex language that does not have coding standards that
> limit the use of the language.
I know this, but I do not understand this. I have worked in reasonably large
commercial projects. Admittedly only one had had more than a hundred active
developers (which in fact was the one with the most loose coding standards).
But as far as I have seen it coding standards are either in the spirit of
what I had proposed (emphasizing code quality over language features) or are
an over-detailed mess that is a pain in practice and gives no reasonable
justification for the imposed limitations. I would like to prevent the later
for GCC.

But this is getting off-topic, GCC will probably limit itself to "C with
classes" anyway. Which in my opinion is a shame, but such is life.

Thomas