On Sun, 30 Jan 2011, Richard Guenther wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 5:51 AM, Dongsheng Song
> <dongsheng.s...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 03:44, Richard Guenther <richard.guent...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> It would be nice if the scripts could check whether only DATESTAMP
> >> changes were done since the last snapshot ...
> >
> > Just for curiousness, why we bump the DATESTAMP when the last commit is
> > DATESTAMP changes on the branch ?
>
> I wonder why we keep DATESTAMP at all now that we have a global
> source revision number (remember, CVS did not have that).

The point of such things as DATESTAMP is to be globally meaningful in
contexts where sources may have been obtained from snapshots, imported
into other version control systems, etc.; an SVN revision number is not
meaningful without consulting a particular repository (and a git revision
ID would be even less meaningful to human readers of --version output
etc.).

--
Joseph S. Myers
jos...@codesourcery.com