On Mon, 31 Jan 2011, NightStrike wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 7:51 AM, Richard Guenther
> <richard.guent...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 3:43 AM, Dongsheng Song
> > <dongsheng.s...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> It's very simple (only for trunk, although it maybe more useful for
> >> branches):
> >
> > Or simply put Last-Changed-Date into DATESTAMP, not the
> > current date.
>
> This has other benefits as well, since it means that the date in the
> gcc version string becomes the date of the last actual revision,
> instead of the date that the datestamp change is committed.

Not in the case where you have no datestamp changes for a month, say, then
some other change is committed, but a new datestamp change hasn't yet been
committed after that other change; then you have, for a limited period, a
compiler with a datestamp value long before the last commit.  (That's the
main case I can think of for not making snapshots if only DATESTAMP has
changed, rather than the simpler approach of omitting some DATESTAMP
updates and not making snapshots if nothing at all has changed.)

--
Joseph S. Myers
jos...@codesourcery.com