>> Here are some areas I'll look closer to, as shown by some early profiling
>> I performed:
>>  * hash tables (both htab and symtab)
>
> There is probably a lot of tuning possible around GCC hash tables.

Yes.  I'd like to mention that I have been working on this myself during the
past weeks and I have significant uncommitted changes in this area (I haven't
looked at the symtab though, only at htab).

I should be able to polish and benchmark my changes into a presentable state
in the next month or so.  Benchmarking takes a huge amount of time, but without
it there's no point in making changes.

Thanks