On Jul 19, 2011, at 4:21 AM, Paulo J. Matos wrote:

> On 18/07/11 19:00, Richard Henderson wrote:
>>
>>> "Specifically represent... the carry flag" means using the CCmode
>>> style of condition code handling, right?
>>
>> Yes.
>
> hummm, we are still using the old mode for condition code handling. From what
> you're saying we need to use the new CCmode. I was looking at the internal
> documents and even though it doesn't seem required to have a hard register to
> keep the condition codes, it is also hard to know how it is actually
> implemented. Is there any port which doesn't have a hard register
> representing a condition code, which used CCMode?

"hard register" doesn't mean a general register with a number, explicitly
mentioned in the processor manual.  It just is a way to describe some more
pieces of state to GCC.  In that sense, every processor that has condition
codes has a hard register of type CCmode -- they just don't describe it that
way.

        paul