On 24/01/13 20:16, Basile Starynkevitch wrote:
On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 08:11:25PM +0000, Alec Teal wrote:
On 24/01/13 19:55, Diego Novillo wrote:
I don't know enough yet but GCC seems to be partitioned, this back
and front end,
There is also a middle-end in GCC (and IMNSHO the middle-end of GCC is its biggest
part; it is the thing which does not depend much on the source language and on the
target processor & system).
IMNSHO (In My .... Honest Opinion)? and yes that makes sense, but the same is true of LLVM, that is the middle part, it's far away from the code (but is (rather cooley) able to contain metadata IIRC so you can 'rebuild' parts of where it came from, I've never really looked into it that far) but not near a specific machine.

It'd be really cool if GCC could compile to LLVM and also parse it. This has to be worth more than "because it is cool" and would certainly (read perhaps) link the two communities together.

FWIW, there is some partial documentation about GCC (notably some slides I have
made) on http://gcc-melt.org/docum.html
FWIW?
(of course the main emphasis is on MELT, but there are some explanations about
GCC internals)
I will be reading that soon, I really enjoyed that RTL presentation yesterday, it's nice to have new stuff to read! If you have any other links, I'd love a big pdf or something rather than just... smaller things.
Cheers

Alec