On 18/02/13 11:40, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
Hi All,

http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/C-Dialect-Options.html#C-Dialect-Options

Is there an option to initialize variables to known values in a C/C++ program?

My use case is 'debug' builds and finding use of uninitialized values
that get lucky by being 0 most of the time. For example:

void DoSomeithWithFoo(FOO** ppf) {
   if(ppf && *ppf == NULL) {
     *ppf = new FOO;
   }
}

FOO* p;
DoSomeithWithFoo(&p);

So I would like something that initializes to known, but non-NULL,
such as 0xCDCDCDCD or 0xFDFDFDFD (similar to Visual Studio behavior).

Jeff

Probably not, put =0, if I say "int x;" I am just saying there is an int, it's name is x, deal with it. I may assign to it later, sticking =0 at the end implicitly wouldn't be good for anything really. However! calloc initializes the memory to zero change malloc(size to calloc(1,size and you're done.

Does that help?

Alec