On Tue, 1 Sep 2015, Richard Earnshaw wrote:

> Renaming the files during the conversion is clearly *not* the right
> thing to do: it would break all builds of old code.

Indeed.  Ideally the tree objects in the git conversion should have
exactly the same contents as SVN commits, and so be shared with the
git-svn history to reduce the eventual repository size (except where there
are defects in the git-svn history, or the git conversion fixes up cvs2svn
artifacts and so some old revisions end up more accurately reflecting old
history than the SVN repository does).

One particular case: we have well-maintained .gitignore files, that might
even be more accurate than the svn:ignore properties, and I think the
conversion should keep those and disable all smart ignore handling (just
discard svn:ignore properties, and pass through the existing .gitignore
files (and .cvsignore files)).

--
Joseph S. Myers
jos...@codesourcery.com