Vincent Lefevre <vincent+...@vinc17.org>:
> > Here's why you want to get timezones right: there are going to be times
> > when the order of commits is significant information for a developer's
> > understanding of what happened.  But without a timezone you only know
> > the actual time of a commit to 24-hour resoltion.
>
> I don't understand what you mean. What matters for the order of
> commits is the global time, and this is what SVN stores. SVN does not
> store timezone information, i.e. it has no idea of what local time of
> the user had, but I don't think this is important information.

UTC time plus a timezone offset set is what git stores.  That's not the
locus of the problem.

In Subversion-land there's newver any doubt about the sequence of commits;
the revision numbers tell you that.  In Git-land you have to go by timestamps,
and if a timezone entry is wrong it can skew the displayed time.

Me, I don't undertstand why version-control systems designed for distributed
use don't ignore timezones entirely and display all times in UTC - relative
time is surely more imoortant than the commit time's relationship to solar
noon wherever the keyboard happened to be. But I don't make these decisions.