On 1/24/20 4:36 PM, Jeff Law wrote:
On Fri, 2020-01-24 at 20:32 +0100, Eric Botcazou wrote:
I strongly prefer to move towards relying on the git log.

In my experience the output of git log is a total mess so cannot replace
ChangeLogs.  But we can well decide to drop ChangeLog for the testsuite.
Well, glibc has moved to extracting them from git, building policies
and scripts around that.  I'm pretty sure other significant projecs are
also extracting their ChangeLogs from git.

We could do the same, selecting some magic date as the cutover point
after which future ChangeLogs are extracted from GIT.  In fact, that's
precisely what I'd like to see us do.

The GCC10 release date would seem a good point to do this. That gives us around 3 months to figure the details (and get stakeholder buy-in)

nathan

--
Nathan Sidwell