On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 09:34:20AM +0100, Jonathan Wakely via Gcc wrote:
> I've been having problems with it recently, e.g.
> https://gcc.gnu.org/g:e76100ced607218a3bf had to fix a changelog,
> because https://gcc.gnu.org/g:d76925e46fad09fc9be67 put my changelog
> entry in the wrong place in gcc/testsuite/Changelog, as a result of a
> rebase using merge-changelog.
>
> Maybe we should follow glibc and get rid of ChangeLog files before
> trying to use automated CI and Git workflows.

I thought we are leaning towards generating the ChangeLog files from commit
messages rather than getting rid of them, but we need a reliable script to
find the ChangeLog snippet in the commit message and split it into the
separate ChangeLog files and reliable checker that will refuse commits with
badly formatted entries in there, because when it comes from commit
messages, we won't be able to fix mistakes in it later.

        Jakub