I first encountered gdal while working at Sandia National Labs, one of the US DOE national labs. (This was over a decade ago - I'm now retired).  I have verified with colleagues still working there that although Sandia open sources much of it's current software and contributes source code to non-Sandia projects, there is no practical way that it can support a project with cash payments without violating it's contract with the gov't. Further, it cannot contribute in-kind effort to a project unless those contributions are in direct support of the program that is funding the effort. The same rules almost certainly apply to any US gov't funded contractor. Perhaps someone at one of the US federal agencies that no doubt uses gdal (eg, NGA) can speak to whether the agency can make a direct voluntary contribution.