On Wed, 24 Jul 2024 at 12:27, Even Rouault <even.roua...@spatialys.com>
wrote:

> Le 24/07/2024 à 12:33, Javier Jimenez Shaw via gdal-dev a écrit :
>
>> I see the point, and I agree... but I don't know if it will work
>> RTD redirects to whatever we configure. In proj.org it is going directly
to 9.4 (current latest release).

> Seems like a good idea and something that can be easily be tuned by
editing https://readthedocs.org/dashboard/osgeo-proj/edit/ . But when
looking at https://proj.org/en/stable/about.html for example, the only
thing that is missing to me is a hint of what "stable" alias to. So you
have on the top left, under the PROJ logo, a "stable" text. It would be
nice if that would be "stable (9.4)". Not sure if that can be tuned.

> So every 6 months it points to something different. Telling in robots.txt
that the full page has a different URL is not good for seo and history (if
I understand correctly how it works, that I am not sure).

I think using `/en/stable/` (or /latest) as the default URL redirect is the
thing — as a new release gets promoted, google/etc will keep using/crawling
that, and that link doesn't change.

I think the robots thing would need something a bit like:

allow: /en/stable/
disallow: /en/

Though in principle, no-index would be preferable to "do not crawl". Not
sure what levers RTD has in that regard, if /stable/ and /9.4/ are actually
different sets of html files then adding in an HTML <meta> tag for noindex
might be simple enough for !=stable ?

Rob :)