I know Peta's website had a campaign against Petco for their mistreatment of
animals, but not against reptiles in specific.

I've heard that there are no animal cruelty laws/rules for reptiles, because
they say they don't "feel" pain and suffering.  (is this true?)

What I do is just complain to the manager of the store, usually, they'll at
least hear you out and try to fix things, but you can't really expect them to
shape up all that much...

-Karin