Hi-
Here in Queens, I had a "Petland Discount" store that I named "The Killing Fields".
They have a total disregard for their reptiles. Most birds they sell are rather
costly, and the loss of valuble "product" is frowned upon. But the reptiles (and fish)
they commonly sell are extremely cheap, and they consider the losses a cost of
business. The real money is in the dry goods they sell- tanks, heaters, and the
infamous hotrocks. They pay about 4 bucks for tokays and golden geckos, probably less
for collared lizards, skinks and basilisks. Forget the anoles, probably less than a
buck each. And they will only pay rock bottom prices for the leopards, veileds, and
beardies they buy from breeders.
Most clerks know NOTHING about the animals they sell, and have little time to care for
or about proper husbandry- gotta stock those shelves with fish tank furniture and chew
toys-
I even offered to work there free, if I could only work with the reptiles, I was
refused.
I did not hesitate to voice my opinion, and I was asked to leave after convincing a
mother that the 10" WC cuban Knight Anole would not "tame down and like to be held" by
her 10 year old son.
Petstores are not in the animal care business, they are in the dry goods business. I
use the only weapon I have against them, my money. I will not spend any at that store.
F&W rarely does anything, unless Eyewitness News does a story. So long ago I stopped
frustrating myself and I stopped rescuing their sickly animals too.
They are the main reason that localities are banning reptile ownership. Soon we won't
be able to get any animals. In NYC, they banned Green Iguanas. The bleeding hearts had
them classified as "Fierce and Ferocious". Good for the thousands that died in
captivity, or the full grown animals that live in ten gallon tanks, but a bad omen for
true herpers.
Jason