On 9/28/06, Jeff VR <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
John Luciani wrote:
> On 9/28/06, Jeff VR <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> When I use the newlib type footprint, TSSOP-65P-640L1-20N, Luciani made
>> to my 74HC245 schematic symbol I have problems generating a netlist
>> and pcb.
>>
>> I've been working with this problem for a couple of days trying to find
>> out why this element is being treated as an M4 footprint.  Based on the
>> error message this is what I believe is happening.  When I run gsch2pcb
>> it generates the following error: "stdin:58: /usr/bin/m4: Bad expression
>> in eval: /2".  If I let it keep running it will eventually print to the
>> console "/bin/sh: line 1: 21526 Killed    /usr/bin/m4 -d -I.
>> -I/usr/share/pcb/m4 -I /etc/pcb -I$HOME/.pcb -I.
>> /usr/share/pcb/m4/common.m4 - >> caspian.pcb" before finishing the rest
>> of the schematic.
>>
>> I'm looking for some help in debugging this problem.  Is there an
>> intermediate step I can run to try and figure out if the problem is with
>> the footprint or my schematic?  What triggers the m4 library to kick in?
>
> Are you sure that the footprint attribute is not misspelled in your
> schematic?
> You could try creating a schematic with a single HC245 with the footprint
> attribute set to TSSOP-65P-640L1-20N and run the command ---
>
> gsch2pcb --elements-dir ~/projects/gaf/pcb-elements/luciani
> TEST_SCH_NAME.sch
>
> (* jcl *)

When I created the test schematic I had the same problem.  However this
time I also added the original 74HCT245-1.sym from the gEDA symbol
library and assigned the desired TSSOP.. footprint from Luciani and it
worked fine!  So the problem is in my modified version of the
74HCT245-1.sym.  I modified the original version of the symbol so that I
had the power and GND pins on the symbol rather than defaulting to the
nets defined in the symbol.  I also moved some pins around and deleted
the default footprint of DIP.  Thinking that every symbol must have a
default footprint I assigned the default to the desired TSSOP... and it
still failed.:)  I did a difference between the original and my version
and I don't see anything obvious.  I ran gsymfix.pl which modified it
but didn't fix the problem.

So at least we have it narrowed down to the symbol.  So what could be
wrong with my symbol that would cause an M4 error?

Note:
I attached my modified version of the 74HCT245-1.sym.

I placed your symbol in a schematic, changed the footprint attribute and
gsch2pcb ran correctly. I loaded the resultant PCB file and placed the part.

NB: I do not have any m4 libraries and only use newlib parts that are stored in
my production directory.

(* jcl *)

--
http://www.luciani.org