Hi Oscar,

On Monday 13 April 2009 23:16:06 Oscar Miras wrote:
> Hi ,
>
> I'm getting it.
> I've been analyzing pan-item.c code. It's quite complex but now I think I
> know what you want to do.
>
> I'm editing the source code putting some comments; but they are not
> reliable as documentation. BTW ; it's a bit useless now if I understand
> what you want to do.
>
> You talk about changing all functions, and most of functions in pan-item.c
> and use *clutter library functions*.
> Altrought it's possible to do that; it a quite amount of work ! ( not
> complying, just saying ;) ) .

Yes, but then you will well understand the code and that is neccessary for
further work ;)

> - We have to check the dependencies of all modules that call pan-item.c
> functions. So if for example we change:
>
> *PanItem *pan_item_box_new(PanWindow *pw, FileData *fd, gint x, gint y,
> gint width, gint height,
>               gint border_size,
>               guint8 base_r, guint8 base_g, guint8 base_b, guint8 base_a,
>               guint8 bord_r, guint8 bord_g, guint8 bord_b, guint8 bord_a)
> { ... }*
>
> for
>
> *PanItem *pan_item_box_new(PanWindow *pw, FileData *fd, gint x, gint y,
> gint width, gint height,
>               gint border_size,
>               guint8 base_r, guint8 base_g, guint8 base_b, guint8 base_a,
>               guint8 bord_r, guint8 bord_g, guint8 bord_b, guint8 bord_a)*
> {
> clutterItemBox = clutter_new_item_box(height,weight,...);
> return what??
> }

I think that it will be possible to use clutter classes directly, without
wrapping them and additional data can be attached with g_object_set_data
(see bar.c for an example of this technique)

The mapping seems to be straightforward - PanItem corresponds to ClutterActor,
pan_item_box -> ClutterRectangle, etc.

See http://www.clutter-project.org/docs/clutter/0.8/ClutterActor.html

> We¡ll have to check: will it be PanItem and other data structures necessary
> yet? I think that we'll have to rewrite all headers, and rewrite functions
> everywhere pan-item.c are called, wouldn't we ?

I think that most of the code with corresponding data structures will be
handled by clutter and can be dropped from geeqie.

> Tell me if you have any plan with this:
>
> - Are there any data structures clearly to be removed and substitued?
> - Where do you think is the best place to start changing functions, and
> thinking about what about clutter libraries we could use? Maybe first I
> should start identifying all data structures in pan-items and try to
> susbstitute by clutter library data structures?

I would suggest you look at some clutter demos and get familiar with the API.

Vladimir