For everybody's reference, this is the CMOS/RTC device that is common
to our Alpha and x86 platforms. I move that code around when I made it
shared between x86 and Alpha. I don't really do anything with
serialization code generally and probably moved it as is. I'll try to
look at this later, although I've been pretty busy lately.

Gabe