On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 8:20 AM, Jiayuan Meng <jerryh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear M5 Team,
> I'll soon start to work on integrating our M5-based simulator, MV5, into
> M5. I've read some documentation on the current status of M5, and I'd like
> to share my plan/ideas with you and hear your suggestions.
> Since M5 will soon replace its entire memory system modeling with Ruby&Gems,
> it seems the interconnect and directory coherence modules in MV5 will have
> little value for future M5. I'm wondering if the following contributions
> would be interesting to you.
> 1. An in-order CPU module with multi-threading (switching threads upon cache
> accesses) based on TimingSimpleCPU.
> 2. SIMD cores: Based on TimingSimpleCPU.  It models GPU-like branch handling
> using the re-convergence stack. It is implemented as an array of scalar
> threads rather than wider vector registers. It requires a parallel API
> written in a similar style to OpenMP, with manually instrumentation to
> signal the end of a branch in the parallel section of code.
> 3. A parallel API for writing parallel benchmarks that run in system
> emulation mode. It can be used in a similar way to Pthread. It also provide
> OpenMP-like programming interface, and it can work with the SIMD cores. It
> also comes with various scheduling policies.
> 4. A batch-simulation tool, which creates, manages, organizes, and analyzes
> simulation tasks in batches. Written in Python. Good for space exploration
> and sensitivity study. I manage tens of thousands of simulations over up to
> 100 machines using this tool. It can work with a cluster of machines with a
> shared file system. It also supports the PBS queuing system.
> What do you think about the above contributions? Can you prioritize them?
> Thanks,
> Jiayuan

Hi Jiayuan,

Personally I would say 2,3,4,1... but I can understand how others
might have different priorities.  (Actually I haven't seen two people
with the same order yet!)

I think a key question that Nate already hinted at is how related are
items 1-3... I can see #1 being somewhat independent, but it sounds
like #2 & #3 might be interdependent?  Do they also depend on #1?

Steve