Hi everyone,

On 18/07/2010 10:46, Korey Sewell wrote:

    That seems odd... I assume you're suggesting that Tim switch the
    InOrderCPU to pass the PC instead, right?

Yep, I'm suggesting that this should be updated.

Tim, you'll want to edit the code fetch_seq_unit.cc, execution_unit.cc,
and branch_predictor.cc to make sure that the PC gets passed throughout
instead of the nextPC.

I was just updating this patch and remembered this discussion. Then I checked the code and found that O3CPU is also passing the next PC into the branch predictor. It's a little unclear about what is expected in the branch predictor code. This parameter is altered to pass back the branch target, so sending in the initial next PC seems reasonable. On the other hand, it's used as the actual PC for the RAS and BTB so should really be that. This could also explain why the original code was using inst->readPC() for the DPRINTFs.

Shall I fix up the interface so it's a little more clear what's required and alter both CPUs to pass in the current PC, not next PC?

Cheers
Tim

--
Timothy M. Jones
http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/tjones1

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.