Thanks. That helps a lot, really, and I will skim the emails now. I really
didn't know what the topic of this extensive discussion *was* before, and
didn't have the stomach for another protracted censorship discussion.

thanks again,
-- phoebe

On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 9:24 AM, Katherine Casey <
fluffernutter.w...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Phoebe, I would really suggest reading the emails if you're interested in
> the discussion (or, conversely, not asking for a summary if you're not),
> but here's a quick-and-dirty condensation off the top of my head:
>
> I started the thread to discuss how disposition of topless photo of a
> woman on Commons (being used on enwp), and that woman's right to consent or
> not consent to the photo being used, was being discussed entirely by men.
> The conversation then veered to how sexual images on Commons are a
> nearly-intractable problem and how Commons can be unwelcoming to people who
> try to discuss them, then to discussion of the Board's resolution that we
> must be sensitive to people's identity rights when photos are from private
> places, then to how Commons does or doesn't adhere to that resolution, then
> to how to *make *Commons adhere (better) to that resolution. There is no
> final result; there is only a general feeling that Commons's common
> practice is in dispute with how some people interpret the Board's
> resolution, that other people feel Commons is already making huge
> concessions to the ideas in the resolution, and that some individual images
> and categories of images are rather blatant violations of Commons's and/or
> the Board's policies/resolutions.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> -Fluff
>

> On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 11:51 AM, phoebe ayers <phoebe.w...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Well, I haven't read ANY of the emails in the thread, for the petty
>> reason that the subject line makes me cringe every time I see it. And
>> according to my gmail count there's something like 100 mails on the topic,
>> so I'm probably not going to start now. So if indeed there is actual
>> progress being made, if someone could post a 1-para summary of the
>> discussion and what the conclusions are, that would be awesome!
>>
>> (seriously. Refactoring is almost always a helpful exercise when it comes
>> to long discussions on complicated issues -- for both the participants &
>> those who haven't been following the discussion).
>>
>> -- phoebe

* I use this address for lists; send personal messages to phoebe.ayers <at>
gmail.com *