For me, it's that it just freaking works.  No hardware issues, minimal
install on the server version so I get only what I want.  5 years support
for LTS server.

Don't get me started on Redhat/centos being years out of date... OpenLDAP
bugs that have been fixed for a *long* time are still broken in CentOS
current.  I know their main target is a stable platform on redhat
enterprise/CentOS, but jeeze... fix the bugs.  I don't like having to
compile from source unless I have to, and all too often, using CentOS means
having to compile.  Take postfix... I had to modify the spec file for the
RPM to include MySQL support and rebuild.

Ubuntu does what I want, when I want, and has reasonably current packages.
And it's still debian linux more or less, so I can edit config files to
customize it to do what/when I want the way I want.

Rant over.  :P