To me, Ubuntu is not really dumbed down but it is minimalistic which helps
"normal" users. In any case, it's basically Debian flavored distro. Even though
I switched from Ubuntu to a OS X couple of years ago, my parents have been
running Ubuntu since 2007. They actually apply the updates on their computers
and I keep an eye on it remotely. Before ubuntu it was very difficult to find
drivers for hardware esp. in India and we had to reinstall Windows every couple
of months 'cause my folks will somehow manage to get it infected.

Karthik