first of all: it worked ;-)

On 2010-03-10, Bill Barker <billwbar...@verizon.net> wrote:

> The maven-fortress-plugin runs with a goal of install' against the
> public local repo, so copies it's POM there as well as the jar file.

Yes, but it installs it as -SNAPSHOT version, not the released version
the excalibur projects have been looking for.

> Then M2 running on say excalibur-pool-impl sees it in the local repo,
> and thinks it has it already.

Shouldn't be since it has the wrong version.

> It then opens the POM, sees the wrong version number and throws a
> hissy fit.

I still think it must be something inside the jar. 8-)

> It's possible that restoring the jar, but removing the 'install' goal
> on maven-fortress-plugin will trick M2 into getting the proxied POM,
> but the built plugin.  I'm still working through how the mvnrepo proxy
> works, so this is just a guess.

Let me try to help you out WRT the proxy.

In general the proxy really only acts as a proxy using a few hard-coded
paths to identify known Maven repos based on the request's pathinfo.

Every <jar> in a Gump descriptor will publish a jar or POM to the repo
proxy after the project containing it has finished.  POMs that don't use
the <jar>-hack will not be published to the proxy at all.  Most of the
time this means mvn projects will see the original POMs of the released
versions but get the latest jars.

It looks as if such a combination would cause trouble for Maven plugins
since the jar has embeded version information (at least that's my
understanding of it).

No, it has just been looking for a non-SNAPSHOT version since the plugin
build has only installed a -SNAPSHOT.