That sounds like a reasonable solution to me: the HBase team bears the
burden of cutting an maintaining the release, while Hadoop Core can proceed
with 0.22. HBase had its own version of ZooKeeper in there for a while, if I
recall correctly, so it's not without precedent. No funky version numbers
have to be floating around Hadoop-land, and hopefully HBase can move back to
HDFS when 0.22 is released. It's not ideal, but potentially the best
solution given the current constraints.