Calling it something other than Hadoop would avoid confusing users
(and HBase could then release bug fixes, etc. on its own schedule),
but from how it's been described: this is acknowledging the reality of
the situation, not proposing something radical.

HBase can be backed by the HBase FooFS and HDFS. If the former can be
retired as a legacy platform that'd be ideal, but Hadoop will have to
earn it. -C