> On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 11:31 AM, Chris Douglas <cdoug...@apache.org> wrote:
> Calling it other than Hadoop would only confuse the situation even
> more; "Trust all your data to fooFS!".  It'd also reeks of HDFS 'fork'
> (HBase is not yet up for taking on such a burden).

Unless I'm missing something, it is a fork. It's a temporary, friendly
fork, but it's what the HBase project has been using and supporting
for months. It hasn't had a label assigned to it, but it's a product
(a feature with a mostly-shared implementation across other forks, at
any rate).

> I liked my original reading of your suggestion Chris -- even if it was
> perhaps not what you intended -- where HBase would host
> hadoop-0.20-append.  Thats not on?

Your original reading was what I intended. The obstacle to releasing a
variant of Hadoop from the HBase project is the name. I'd be surprised
if TLPs were permitted to release under another project's name, even
if the other endorsed it. If that assumption is not a real constraint,
then I agree that there's no point in calling it something else. -C