From: Nigel Daley <nda...@mac.com>
To: general@hadoop.apache.org
Sent: Fri, January 14, 2011 11:21:25 AM
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Move project split down a level

On Jan 14, 2011, at 11:16 AM, Tsz Wo (Nicholas), Sze wrote:

> Hi Nigel,
>
>> As I look more at the impact of the common/MR/HDFS project split on what
>> and how we release Hadoop, I feel like the split needs an adjustment.  Many
>> folks I've talked to agree that the project split has caused us a splitting
>> headache.  I think 1 relatively small change could alleviate some of that.
>
> Could you elaborate your idea on how the proposed changes would help?  What
> the
>
> problems are being addressed?  It is not clear to me.

Critical in my mind was my statement: "We're a long way from releasing these 3
projects independently.  Given that, they should be branched and released as a
unit."  This can not be enforced given the current svn layout. Other's can
weigh
in with additional thoughts.

> You are right that the change is small but the impact is huge.  We should
> first
>
> understand what we are getting from the changes before doing it.

What do you see as the huge impact?

Nige