On Wednesday, August 6, 2003, at 04:34 pm, J Aaron Farr wrote:

Quoting James Strachan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
To be certified Geronimo needs to fully support JMX. So the current
plan is to follow the Tomcat 5 & JBoss ideas to use MBeans to register
& wire the services together. Whatever component model or libraries a
particular service wishes to use is up to it I suppose, it shouldn't
really affect the core container.

So geronimo will be built on top of Tomcat 5?

Not quite - it'll use JMX & JNDI to bind services into the core container (J2EE certified remember). Tomcat 4/5 will be one of those services that plugs into Geronimo along with things like Jetty, tyrex, openjms etc.

It seems a shame that we have an "Apache Server Framework" that will not be used
in the "Apache J2EE" implementation, at least at the container level.

Avalon could be used inside a service. Or indeed an Avalon container could be deployed inside Geronimo as a service too.

Though I'm not yet sure of the value of Avalon inside the core EJB / JMX container (which is the first thing to do)- which is already itself a specialized kind of container. If you want Avalon to be used, I'd focus on the services that we'll use inside Geronimo. e.g. Tomcat - try get them to use Avalon & see if it makes sense to them. Avalon's not gonna suit everyone and every use case.

Remember there are a lot of different 'services frameworks' such as JMX, Avalon, PicoContainer, Java Beans etc. The only one we absolutely must support is JMX - so we'll focus on that first. However I see no reason why Geronimo cannot have other kinds of containers dropped in as services (Avalon, PicoContainer or whatever). From Geronmio's perspective its just a bunch of MBeans.

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/