The 'core server and interfaces' is what I am interested in.  There are
several open source projects which provide frameworks on which Geronimo
could be built, for example Avalon.  A (incomplete) list of such projects is
on the Avalon wiki site at:

http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?AvalonRelatedProjects

Have any plans already been made?

J. Aaron Farr