In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Noel J. Bergman" w
rites:
>If I am working with a package, e.g., Avalon, I might not have the javadocs
>or sources local.  I often find references in the javadocs via Google, which
>can be quite helpful.  Before any decision to not publish javadocs were to
>be taken, I'd sooner see those published directly.

I agree with Noel.  I hate to put it this way, but online javadocs are
an important way to advertise Apache software.  Online javadocs allow
developers who are considering using a software library from an Apache
project to evaluate what the library does, how it's designed, and so on
before downloading it.  Not making online javadocs available makes it
more likely a software library will be eschewed because a programmer
doesn't want to be bothered with downloading it to figure out how it
works, etc. and whether it's worth a further investment of time.

Disk is cheap, but I personally think direct publishing is the way to go
with javadocs (I'm in the "don't revision control generated artificats"
camp).  I'm not on the PMC and am not trying to influence whether or not
you keep javadocs in CVS.  I just want to point out that not having
javadocs on the Incubator Web site can hinder those projects from
developing a user community and therefore detract from the Incubator's
mission.

daniel