Sascha,

Yes, thats ok. I just want to make sure that at least one of our
developers needs to be a committer for the project.

A small problem....

Apache is concerned that teams arrive, and healthy communitys form and continue. The manner in which the project arrives drives how many (if any) committers arrive.

If you are donating code to an existing project (project at the level of a build file) it is likely that the code will arrive before the committers do. The normal rule of thumb for a person submitting patches on an frequent basis to a project is that after a few months they may be proposed and voted on for committer status. For a person that donates a considerable amount of code or someone who's already an Apache committer it could be shortened I guess. Tis a little muddy concerning a group who donate code to a project.

For group/projects applying for Apache project status themselves (under Incubator, Cocoon, etc etc), the team would all arrive (or a sensible subset of people active for the last six months of the project in its prior incarnation). They'd fill out the forms and get accounts. A aulity control should be applied by the team to only really take the people who are active. The polite thing to do one exit from, say, sourceforge would be for all in the team to agree who is dropping off the project before arrival to Apache. An assumption of course that the project is accepted on application. Please do your research (mail archives etc), before embarking on this route.

The point is that "I just want to make sure that at least one of our developers needs to be a committer for the project" is not a usual posting. You have to be mindful that the community around the code (for new projects) is more important that the code or the needs of one person. And mindful that a collection of classes to and existing codebase is just a large patch. As such and "..I need.." and "..one developer.." is undesirable wordage.

I'm not trying to discourage, just set expectations.

Regards,

- Paul H
(with Nicola, Incubator PMC member)

--
http://www.thoughtworks.com -> The art of heavy lifting.
Home for many Agile practicing, Open Source activists...