Jochen,

A project is accepted into the Incubator on the hopes that it WILL become an
ASF project.  However, it still needs to meet certain critera (the exit
criteria).  Those criteria should include having a healthy Community, which
helps to ensure its long term survival; and having all legal issues
resolved, which permits it to be legally released under the ASF copyright.

If those criteria have not been met, I do believe that the project should
not be permitted to release a package with the imprimatur (Offical Approval)
of the ASF.  I would sooner permit a project to release something with known
(and documented) bugs than to release something with legal entanglements.  I
don't care how mature the code.  Software has bugs.  Entanglements have
lawyers.

Those are the issues that come to my mind.  The Incubator PMC may have
others.

Personally, I think that snapshots marked as test builds and perhaps also
carrying a file listing the project's incubation status, would be OK.
Again, the Incubator PMC may share or differ on that view.

        --- Noel