Richard Feit wrote:

> I've been a bit hung up on the idea that since Derby has done several
> "official releases" from within the Incubator (e.g., Version 10.0.2.1 at
> http://incubator.apache.org/derby/derby_downloads.html#Official+Releases

I can appreciate that view.  I hadn't noticed the use of the term official
until someone else pointed it out.  Apparently, neither had anyone else.

> I understand your points, though, and I think that as an alternative to
> spending more cycles on this release, it would be very healthy for us to
> focus solely on exiting the Incubator.

You did do http://cvs.apache.org/dist/incubator/beehive/v1.0m1/, so what is
the "this release" to which you refer?

FWIW, versioning schemes such as:

 M.mQB

where M == major, m == minor, Q in [D:Development, A:Alpha, B:Beta,
R:Release], and B == Build# encode the release type.  I supposed that 1.0m1
represents a milestone.

In any event, I'm sure that people can come up with some perfectly sane
scheme to label.  The only thing is that we don't want it to smell like
official ASF code until after the project graduates the Incubator.

        --- Noel