Erik Abele wrote:
On 12.07.2006, at 19:39, robert burrell donkin wrote:

On 7/11/06, Geir Magnusson Jr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

<snip>

(And I'll note now that I'm interested in participating, although can't
commit the time to be a mentor right now.)

this seems like a good opportunity to reintroduce an existing issue (
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/200607.mbox/[EMAIL PROTECTED])
under a better heading :-)

the incubator seems to be moving to favouring more mentors. this works
better in many ways: it gives an initial ppmc a builtin quruom and provides better oversight. the role of a solo mentor has traditionally been difficult
and has consumed a lot of energy. multiple mentors would allow wider
participation (without some of the current worries about mentors becoming
overstretched by working on too many projects).

but this approach may lead to problems if none of the mentors actually have
enough consistent energy to devote to the podling.

i've been wondering whether the answer may be to have a chair for each ppmc analogous to the role of the pmc chair. the initial pmc would be composed of
the mentors for the podling and so a chair would need to be elected from
within their number. at least one mentor would therefore need to commit to
devote the energy required to perform this role. they would also form the
first point of contact for the incubator pmc.

opinions?

I really like that so +1 (although I think it'll be hard for some podlings to learn another role; heck, if they can't figure out this one, they don't belong here anyway :-P).

Ditto!

+1

Alex