robert burrell donkin wrote:

> i've been wondering whether the answer may be to have a chair for each
ppmc
> analogous to the role of the pmc chair.

I strongly disagree.

Although history documents an unfortunately strong human tendency towards
delegating to a hierarchical authority, the ASF philosophy is peer-based,
not hierarchical.  The PMC Chair is a legal requirement, not a community
one, and a fallback in case of community failure.

>From the inception of the project, we want to instill in it the ASF
philosophy of peer-based collaboration.  Putting someone First Amongst
Equals is the start of a road to excuses and dependence instead of
collective responsiblity.  I would prefer that we help indoctrinate people
on taking collective responsibility.

There is no day to day need for a PMC Chair role, and the two needs that a
PMC Chair fulfills are perforce handled by the Incubator PMC Chair.

> at least one mentor would therefore need to commit to devote
> the energy required to perform this role.

The PPMC is collectively responsible for the project, and should act
accordingly.  If one or another lacks the time to devote, he or she should
communicate with the peers.  If others see a need, they should communicate
with the PPMC and/or the Incubator PMC as necessary.

> they would also form the first point of contact for the incubator pmc.

Collectively, yes.

        --- Noel