Niclas Hedhman wrote:
On Monday 28 August 2006 11:31, Jason van Zyl wrote:
Could that report be made part of the release:prepare and the release manager
had to explicitly approve it??
How are we supposed to enforce that? And what if they are not using Maven? Say using either the Maven Ant Tasks, or Ivy, or just an http get to get artifacts from a repository.

We are probably misunderstanding each other...
The question that came up was about transitive dependencies, which the user do not necessarily check for, and could end up being dependent on incubating projects against his/her will. Something that can't happen for snapshots (unless you bypass Maven's intended behaviours) You said, that one can check the full set of dependencies from a report generated by Maven2.

I said, if that report could be output during the release:prepare phase, and that if the release:prepare phase would require the release manager to approve the use of that dependency tree, then we put the responsibility in the hands of the Maven2 user.

You then start talking about 'enforcement'... And I am lost. Enforcing what? If the report can be generated, then either your statement above isn't valid, or the report is not capable of reporting the dependencies, in which case the original statement is not accurate.

I suspect that you are trying to find problems with non-Maven systems, but that can always happen and not the issue at hand. BuildSystemAbc could pull down all kinds of stuff for the users, including snapshots, pirated software and virii. IMHO, Maven repositories exist mainly to support Maven and Maven-compatible(!) build systems.

Your suggestions in the original mail is very good, and *I* don't have any opinion about whether a separate Incubating repository is needed or not. Both arguments for and against sound reasonable.
I don't really think that this is going to help anything. The user is always in control. The responsibility has never left their hands. Lets step away from the incubator a sec and take GPL jars for instance - if there is a transitive dependency on GPL jars, the user is completely responsible for that. Why would it be any different for an incubator JAR?

- Dan

--
Dan Diephouse
Envoi Solutions