I believe Janne has already looked into this and has a good list of
all former contributors. Janne, can you comment on the difficulty of
this challenge?

Already ahead of you. We have all but one tracked down and all have already agreed. The question is whether they need to sign CLAs or whether it is just enough that they verbally in an email agree to the license change.

I have discounted people who have just sent simple patches, since in my admittedly non-legal opinion, simple patches do not cross the boundary of an original work, and therefore cannot be claimed to be copyrighted.

/Janne