In my (totally non-lawyer) opinion, the cleanest way to change the
JSPWiki code to the Apache License might be for the project to release
an Apache License version of their code, before coming to the
Incubator, using their existing release channels.

This would mean that the existing community has agreed on this, with
the release being a very public notice of the agreement.

There's just one catch: if we do the license change first, and then Apache says "nah, we're not interested", we have done all the work for nothing.

Also, moving the development (and the mailing lists) to Apache Incubator would also be a very public notice of the agreement. We would, of course, make big noise about this on our web site as well.

All of our current contributors are aware of this already and have agreed to the license change. The people who are no longer a part of the community would not notice it on the Apache website, nor on the JSPWiki web site - they are no longer using the software anyway.

And, as I said, we have already tracked down everyone (save one, and I know his boss personally ;-) and received permission to do this. I don't know whether all of them need to sign a CLA though...

We are tracking the progress here:

http://www.jspwiki.org/wiki/ApacheRelicensing

/Janne