sebb wrote:
On 11/04/2008, Thilo Goetz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
sebb wrote:

The SVN tag

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/uima/uimaj/tags/uimaj-2.2.2/uimaj-2.2.2-05
has lots of missing SVN eol-style settings. See the file

uimaj-2.2.2-05.sh
in
http://people.apache.org/~sebb/SVNfixes/

This should probably be applied to trunk as well ...

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
For additional commands, e-mail:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Hi Sebb,

 thanks for looking over our release.

 There are a lot of files in your list where not setting
 the eol-style property is intentional: all our test files.

Which extensions are these?
I can change my script to treat these differently.

.txt mostly, some .xml.  So I think one needs to handle this
on an individual file level.

 Setting eol-style:native would make our tests fail on one
 platform or another as they're usually compared to some
 expected output, which in turn depends on the exact byte
 content of the files.

 Unfortunately, there is no (valid) eol-style:none
 or such that allows us to make this intention explicit.

In which case, the tests may fail to work on OSes with a different
line ending, unless you set the mime-type to binary.

I don't understand that remark.

 For the java code we could set it to native.  We just never
 felt the need.  Since we need to be careful with our test
 files, we don't follow the automatic eol-style client setup
 as recommended.  AFAIK, all UIMA developers use Eclipse
 for their development, and Eclipse doesn't care about
 eol style (or not that I noticed anyway).

No it doesn't mind. But SVN does.
If you edit a Java file on Unix and commit to SVN, then someone who
edits it on Mac or Windows and commits to SVN will generate an SVN
diff which shows the whole file has been changed. Makes it very
difficult to see what has actually changed. Likewise for pom.xml etc.

True.  We try to avoid that ;-).  Although most of us work on windows,
we use unix style eol chars for all source code.

 I hope you'll agree that it's up to the project to set an
 eol-style policy.  Our policy is not to set the property
 unless it's required (e.g., for .sh or .bat files).

Indeed, but see also:

http://www.apache.org/dev/version-control.html#https-svn-config

These conventions are generally used by Java projects, e.g. all of Commons.

Yes, and they don't work for us, as I pointed out earlier.

There are also settings in there that I find rather doubtful.  What
is the point of having eol-style for .bat files set to native?

So how do you create a distribution?  To my mind, it shouldn't matter
if you extracted the code on linux or windows.  The distribution should
come out the same and work on both platforms.

--Thilo