On Friday 11 April 2008, Thilo Goetz wrote:
> For the java code we could set it to native.  We just never
> felt the need.  Since we need to be careful with our test
> files, we don't follow the automatic eol-style client setup
> as recommended.  AFAIK, all UIMA developers use Eclipse
> for their development, and Eclipse doesn't care about
> eol style (or not that I noticed anyway).

I just want to say that this is a fairly short sighted view.   CURRENTLY,
all your developers use Eclipse, but if eol-style is not set properly on
the files, it makes it much harder for other people that don't use
eclipse to jump in and look at code and help.   For example, without
eol-style, a unix committed file loaded into notepad ends up all on one
line.  (not that anyone in their right mind would use notepad)   It's
probably not in the projects best interest to intentional exclude folks
by making it harder for them to look at the code.  Thus, you then only
attract the folks that use eclipse making it self-fullfilling that all
the developers use eclipse.

As sebb pointed out, there are issues with svn diff and change tracking
as well.  Without eol-style set, a one line change can actually result
in the ENTIRE file being marked changed.

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer, IONA