Daniel Kulp wrote:
On Friday 11 April 2008, Thilo Goetz wrote:
For the java code we could set it to native.  We just never
felt the need.  Since we need to be careful with our test
files, we don't follow the automatic eol-style client setup
as recommended.  AFAIK, all UIMA developers use Eclipse
for their development, and Eclipse doesn't care about
eol style (or not that I noticed anyway).

I just want to say that this is a fairly short sighted view. CURRENTLY, all your developers use Eclipse, but if eol-style is not set properly on the files, it makes it much harder for other people that don't use eclipse to jump in and look at code and help. For example, without eol-style, a unix committed file loaded into notepad ends up all on one line. (not that anyone in their right mind would use notepad) It's

That's a pretty hypothetical scenario.  What editors that a programmer
would use are there on windows that don't handle unix eol chars?  You
call it short-sighted, I call it on-demand.  If somebody comes along and
says I would like to help with UIMA but I can't because of your stupid
unix eol settings, then we'll certainly reconsider.  In the mean time,
we're just saving ourselves some trouble.

But I certainly get your point.  I recently offered to help on a
project, but decided not to when the developers refused to make a
small change that would have allowed me to work in Eclipse.

probably not in the projects best interest to intentional exclude folks by making it harder for them to look at the code. Thus, you then only attract the folks that use eclipse making it self-fullfilling that all the developers use eclipse.

I agree with you in principle, see above.  Just not sure this
is really a concern.

--Thilo