I'll bite again :)

My earlier reasoning was that for folks who use Ant, there's an
off-chance that they will see the jars and possibly the disclaimers
when they are creating their build or deployment environment.

Maven makes it too easy and hides too much that they will not get a
chance to run into the disclaimers.

Apparently we were successful in enforcing that :)

-- dims