Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 8:42 PM, Jukka Zitting<jukka.zitt...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Sling explicitly waited until there were active committers from three
>> independent backgrounds until asking for graduation.
>>
>> At the end of the day it's the people who write the code that decide
>> where a project goes,
>
> So, you ARE saying that Day Software decides on Sling... And my
> opinion is that Day Software developers are working on the project
> because they are told to. I respect Day Software (and its employees)
> to a great deal, and have no problem with Sling being dominated by
> that company. In Pivot's case, it is NOT a company operation, IIUIC it
> used to be but way before it came to the Incubator, and has since lost
> the 'sponsorship' of the employer, hence I would claim that it has
> already proven itself against company dominance, so it should be seen
> as a group of individuals.

And this is true in the majority of the projects.  The only requirement
in the ASF is to be collaborative.  If any company believes they can
can have an ASF project and not accept the contributions of/be welcoming
of other collaborators, they picked the wrong foundation, and I trust that
the ASF Board of Directors is happy to correct that behavior with the
harshest actions.

That goes for a project driven by independent individuals or employers.

> Now, we are having 2 dominating individuals with a couple of support
> people, who dig up issues (perhaps not as good as sticking them into
> JIRA, but that is not a requirement AFAIUI), discuss them on list and
> together provide the way forward to a solution... I think we are in a
> good position, despite not having a corporate sponsor, and that Pivot
> can become one of the sexiest projects at ASF. It isn't the biggest
> project out there, which I think is good, after all a central use-case
> is over-the-wire deployment, so the 'commit space' is sometimes
> crowded.

There is a difference between active and domineering.  Dominating by
itself doesn't convey any negative connotations.

> If Jukka's sentiment will rule, that we (the Mentors) have to request
> Greg and Todd to stop being too active, and give the others more time,
> space and chance to squeeze in their commits, then I think there is
> something inherently wrong with our requirements.

No, but they do need to understand that creating opportunities for others
to contribute is part of championing a successful project.  But as one
of the sometimes dominant, often passive members of some other projects,
I'd suggest from experience that this is learned by experience.