ok, my bad, you can just define the tag when performing the release
using maven, it does not have to be the same as the version. So you
can set the version to 2.0.5-incubating and the tag to
2.0.5-incubating-rc1. So when the release proceeds we can just copy
over that last rc to the final ant promote the 'staged' files.

If we need another release and vote I will create an rc tag.

Thanks for the pointer,
Francis

they are doing what the maven guys

--